Saturday, July 7, 2018

Floating Homes vs Houseboats in Seattle

I'm going to link back to my Realtor's site as they explain this way better than I can, but I'll try to give a basic summary as far as I understand things.

Special Agent Realty awesome explanations

Totes is a Houseboat.  This means that she is not hooked up to anything permanently.  While she doesn't have an engine or any means of propulsion herself, she could be moved to any marina anywhere and with a hose and extension cord be good to go.  A floating home doesn't have that ability.  Floating homes are attached to their docks with electric and water/sewer.  They rarely move from their location, and most of them are in 'condo' docks.  Condo docks are run by everyone who lives there and you pay fees for utilities and to upkeep the docks.  I am going to be renting which leaves me at the mercy of the owners raising the rent.

I am of two minds about dock rental vs the condo docks.  On the one hand by renting I could, technically, go anywhere that had room.  The reality is that there isn't much room and the waiting lists are years long.  But I could!!  On the other hand, I'm not really planning on moving the boat anytime soon and having the security of the condo dock would be nice.  The fees are usually cheaper than rent, at least as far as I've seen, and you have the peace of mind that you will be involved in any decision to raise the fees, and any raises would be for things that would directly benefit you.

I've been told that the management company where Totes is currently docked is good and they value their liveaboard people as it is guaranteed income for them.

1 comment:

  1. This is wonderful Ester. Looking forward to many more lake and houseboat adventures as I am sure there will be many. Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

It's been quite a year! or F*** 2020

 I realized the other day that it had been a while since I updated.  I am going to blame 2020 and Covid.   Brief summary of this past year: ...