Saturday, July 21, 2018

Inspection Finished!

I've been putting everything kind of on hold until the inspection.  I had this terrible vision of having movers ready, putting in my 20 days vacate notice at my apartment and then having something catastrophic wrong with the boat.  That and it was a good way to not have to deal with anything for a while.

Inspection was done last Monday, and now the inspection report is back!  Nothing huge that we hadn't already talked about, though I hadn't noticed that were weren't any smoke detectors when I walked through.  Now is the whole 'demand' part, which can be stressful.  I am never clear on what is reasonable to demand to be fixed and what I can just deal with later.

The biggest issue is the moisture in the hull.  There is no current leak, but the moisture is there and it can rot out the wood.  I am now, more than ever, convinced that I will replace the hull, but I do have time.  I am going to 'demand' that they put in an industrial strength dehumidifier and make sure it drains out to the lake (there is no way I'm going to empty it every day) that has a timer or something like that on it.  On my own I will put in humidity sensors in the hull to monitor and the inspector said that it can be checked up on while still in the water as the moisture can be measured from inside the hull.  Unofficially he told me that would ensure no issues until I was ready to replace the hull, but that he wouldn't wait more than 10 years.

He also valued the houseboat lower than the asking price, mostly due to the moisture in the hull.  I mentioned to my realtor that if they wanted to pay for half the hull and have the valuation at that price point I'd be game, but I don't see that being a reasonable thing to do, those hulls aren't cheap.  My real concern is that this will move out the closing date as I don't want credits, I want the stuff actually *done*, I don't have any experience here or even know who to hire to fix things.

Oh and some of the outlets don't have junction boxes, who does that??  I don't work with electricity and I know that is a super double plus bad idea.  I think an electrical fire is my worst nightmare on a houseboat, even more than it sinking.

So I sent an email to my realtors, and then three follow ups as I thought of other things (they are very patient with me) and we'll see what happens next.  I'd like to keep the closing date but my lease at my apartment isn't up until October so I have time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's been quite a year! or F*** 2020

 I realized the other day that it had been a while since I updated.  I am going to blame 2020 and Covid.   Brief summary of this past year: ...