Friday, August 17, 2018

Moving in - Week 1

I guess it's obvious by my lack of posts that I've been busy!  Moving is such a pita and I hate it, and I'm still not finished.  This weekend I'm going to finish packing at the old apartment and then have the rest of the stuff moved over.  Everything else will be taken to good will or the dump.

I'll write more about each individual challenge later.  One of the points of this blog is to get information out about the challenges of living on a houseboat and what I did, something I couldn't find when trying to decide if I really wanted to take this step.  In a nutshell I have struggled with downsizing, the propane alarm keeps going off even when the propane isn't hooked up, because my lack of screens I've had to keep the windows closed and it's getting hot in here (I'm concerned I may have killed my red wine) and the logistics of getting stuff to and trash/recycling out of the marina.  Oh and I didn't have hot water for the first few days and I couldn't figure out why.

But not all has been a struggle!  I have a screen person coming in just under two weeks, I do have hot water (I had managed to unplug the hot water heater just enough that it disconnected but not enough for the plug to actually look unplugged), I have a portable AC unit, I am making really good progress on unpacking and I have new dishes!  Internet is hooked up without a visit from a technician, I have an idea on why the propane alarm keeps going off (the battery in the hull may be dying) though I'm not sure how to check it, but at least I know I'm not going to die. 

My goal this weekend is to finish packing up the apartment and unpacking on the houseboat so I have room for all of the boxes from the apartment.  We'll see how I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's been quite a year! or F*** 2020

 I realized the other day that it had been a while since I updated.  I am going to blame 2020 and Covid.   Brief summary of this past year: ...